We’ve been made aware of a recent imposter scam where fraudsters spoof phone numbers from legitimate businesses like Clearwater, and call unsuspecting members requesting sensitive account information.
Clearwater Credit Union, will NEVER call, email, or text you and ask you to:
- Provide personal information like Social Security numbers, account numbers, or passwords to validate your identity.
- Withdraw your money and deposit it to a Bitcoin ATM.
- Transfer, wire, or mail cash to another person or business.
- Purchase gift cards to send to another person or business.
- Withdraw large sums of money without telling your spouse, partner, or other family members.
If you receive a call asking you to do any of the above, it is a scam! PLEASE HANG UP IMMEDIATELY.
These fraudsters can be convincing, so whenever you’re in doubt, please stop by your local branch or give us a call at 406-523-3300 before sharing any sensitive account information or sending any payments to these bad actors. Even if the person tells you they’re with Clearwater or another government agency or utility company, please do not believe them. We can assure you that legitimate businesses and government agencies will NEVER ask for your personal information or ask you to pay in the form of cash, wires, or gift cards.
If you think you have been a victim of imposter fraud, please give us a call at 406-523-3300 as soon as possible.